Google backed Android has been long in the forefront in providing free apps on its market place – Google Play Store. While Android had led in terms of app shipments, a leading question from any developer’s end is how to enhance revenues to match iOS’ popularity. Industry analysts have identified in-app purchases as one strategy that has translated to a win–win situation for both Android smartphone users as well as developers.
The feature that involves charging customers within their applications has proven to be a highly effective top profit strategy for developers. Google Play Developer Program Policy assures users with genuine and positive experiences through guidelines and protocols. The documentation contains an entire section devoted to in-app purchases.
Google has recently come up with a host of updates to protect the interests of Google customers. Here are some amendments in the policy that Android developers must follow while building apps.
- While navigating through the application, the developer should design the application in such a way that online advertisements within the application can be overlooked. Though these advertisements are major sources for some mobile ad networks, Google Play forbids unexpected sharing of personal data on clicking these advertisements. Personal information might be misused rather than serving its prime objective, promoting a product.
- Display of advertisements in the notification bar is prohibited. Alerts or offers displayed due to inbuilt features of the apps could be displayed. Airline apps directing itself to tickets offered at reasonable cost or game apps alerting the user about in-game promotions are some instances. This rule would support the removal of unwanted apps from the Play store.
- Unauthorized installs or ratings that tend to tamper feedbacks of products or its ratings are banned. Developers should be precise in the title and overall description of the app. The user must be able to recognize the objective of the app within a few seconds. Illogical relevance and a description with many keywords are forbidden.
- Google aims to provide authentic high-quality apps in the Play store. Users should not be led astray to uninstall or disable other apps unless if it is a necessity to secure their devices. Likewise, the app should not alter the device on a system level unexpectedly without prior intimation. Besides, reorganizing the interface with the addition on new icons on the screen is too considered illegal. If the app has made any changes, once intimated the user must be able to restore the original structure of the system easily.
- Games like online casinos and lotteries that pertain to gambling are prohibited. Skill based games that benefit the users in monetary terms or similar rewards are too proclaimed to be against the law. However, it is still incoherent as to which rewards are to be included or excluded.
- Apps like Farmville which offer in-app purchases to enhance its game playing experience or that supports integration with other apps listed under a different category must use billing services provided by Google Play. No third party payment modes should be implemented.
Developers must abide with the updated Google Play policy. They must not build apps that might lead users to encounter unexpected activity. An authentic approach of the app would surely contribute towards their businesses.
To look ahead, the recent changes brought in by the Google Play policy can really produce dramatic experience to the users, mobile app developers as well as the Google ecosystem for sure.
The biggest advantage is for the developers as every visit by a visitor more than 5 times can really result in significant incomes. So, this is a no non-sense policy created by Google as it mutually benefits everyone.